Monday, June 3, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

Honestly, I never know what to do with ground beef. I feel the pressure of constantly conjuring up new dishes that incorporate ground beef. Maybe it's just because I'm crazy but after taking my dilemma to the internet, I found a great recipe for Shepherd's pie. I made it along with biscuits and voila, it made a great dinner and lunch for my husband the next day.


1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion, finely chopped (I don't like a lot of onions so you can do 1 whole onion, finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
1 dash pepper
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 Bag/Box of pre-made mashed potatoes (I had a ton of extras sitting around but you can make them from scratch too)

Directions

1. Add the chopped onions to the fry pan and fry until transparent, then add the ground beef and cook until  brown. Add salt and pepper while it browns. Stir in the beef broth and worcestershire sauce and let cook for 5 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and let it melt. Stir it all together. Add the flour and stir it in to thicken. Finally, finish it off by adding frozen vegetables and letting it cook for another 5 minutes. When done, move to baking dish.

2. Meanwhile, make your mashed potatoes on the side and when finished, layer it on top of the meat mixture.

3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and bake the pie for approx. half an hour. I also had to put it on broil for a couple of minutes just so I could get the top of my mashed potatoes nice and brown. 

(I made home made biscuits but I'll post the recipe tomorrow because it's bed time and hubby here is getting anxious).

xoxo.





No comments:

Post a Comment